Tuesday, August 21, 2012

casserole + cupcakes = caring!

Last week I got the priveledge to meet a beautiful addition to this world- Baby Nora!
Babies are so precious and sweet- but they take it out of you. I know from my maternity leave and other recent events in my life that sometimes a meal cooked by someone else can make all the difference.

In preparation to visit my friend and her new baby I made a few recipes- now I should give a disclaimer that these recipes are not approved by Emily the dietian. Normally I wouldn't recommend cooking with prepared spice mixes, canned soups, and processed potatoes- but on the other hand- those are all the ingredients to a good casserole. So moral of the story- make these a sometimes food not an always food and get off my back already!

I should also mention that both of these recipes came from a friend of mine who is also a dietitian, so blame her.

First we have French Fry Casserole:
 Ingredients:
1lb ground beef
1 sm bag frozen veggies
1/2 bag frozen french fries
sm can cream of mushroom soup
1pk onion soup mix
1 c cheddar cheese

Directions:
Press ground beef into bottom of a 9X13 casserole dish, sprinkle soup mix over top.
Layer on veggies (I use broccoli) and french fries. Pour mushroom soup over the top then top with cheese.
Bake at 325 degrees F for 1 hr covered, then uncovered for 15 minutes to brown.


Next, Southwest Cornbread Casserole


Ingredients:
1lb ground beef
sm can tomato soup
1 bell pepper
1 onion
2 Tbs salsa
package cornbread mix- mixed according to directions

Directions:
Brown ground beef in a skillet. Once cooked add onion and pepper until softened. Stir in salsa and tomato soup. Pour into a 9X13 dish and pour prepared cornbread mix over top. Bake at 350 degrees F until cornbread on top is done, approx 30 min.

To serve top with cheese, sour cream, and hot sauce- at least that's how I like it!

If you plan on taking someone some food anytime soon, go ahead and whip up some cupcakes too- you can't lose. But save yourself some energy and use a mix!

Laters!
Emmy
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment