Thursday, July 28, 2011

Flea market finds, food, and favorite things!!

Love this salt/pepper set. I found it at a local flea market and thought it would make a great wedding gift for my friend Jamie-- hope she liked it!


Got some goodies at the farmer's market last Saturday, so Sunday called for a delicious meal! Eggplant Parmesan with tomato/basil salad topper.
Couldn't walk past these tomatoes without buying them- so gorgeous!
My basil plants have yet to really take off- as has the rest of my garden- so I'm left to buy basil, luckily a big bunch like this is only $1 at the farmer's market, much better deal than the small packs in the grocery store.
Eggplant is such a great veggie- lots of different ways to use it, and I know it is somewhat ordinary, but I love eggplant parmesean.
First I sliced the eggplant about 1/2" thick, dipped them in raw egg, and rolled them in Italian breadcrumbs. Then I placed them in a pan with a thin layer of hot olive oil in it. Just a few minutes on each side- then take them out to drain on paper towels- salt while still hot. Once all the eggplant is done top each piece with a spoonful of marinara and a slice of fresh mozzarella then place the eggplant under the broiler to melt and brown the cheese.
Finished product: these skinny eggplants made medallion size pieces- perfect for snacking on, they definitely didn't last long at our house.
For the tomato basil salad I just sliced the tomatoes in half and rough chopped the basil- amounts don't really matter, the more the merrier. Drizzle with olive oil and red wine vinegar or balsamic, and salt/pepper to taste.

New favorite thing:
Counter top compost canister, say that 3 times fast. I've been wanting one of these for a long time and I found this one on a recent trip to KC, MO to visit my dear friend that recently moved away (so sad.) Anyway- she lives right by a World Market, only the best store ever, and I got this beauty for $15. Although it promotes my laziness by keeping me from having to go outside to take out my food scraps, it also promotes sustainable agriculture and less landfills, so it is a win-win.
Pin It

1 comment:

  1. Emily, your camera takes fantastic pictures. Love the basil picture. YUM!!! And the little tomatoes? YUM X 2! I am not fond of eggplant. Seems spongy to me. Maybe because I don't know how to fix it. You must make that for me and/or give me a lesson.

    ReplyDelete